The carousel was located at the Mordialloc Carnival from 1920 to the 1950s. It was dismantled and left in a paddock at Echuca, Victoria until eventually auctioned and stored at Castlemaine.
The carousel was bought by Rick Furlong, a vintage car restorer, and the City of Greater Geelong engaged him to organize the restoration project in the late 1990s. It took two years as forty layers of paint were scraped back to reveal the original colours. Thirty-six of the horses are the originals and the two chariots are replicas based on originals in America.
The Carousel is located at the Geelong Watefront. There is also a replica of the organ of a Gavioli and Co Band Organ circa 1898 which has its own set of drums and a glockenspiel as part of its mechanics.
Click on one of the pictures above to view a larger image. When a picture is displayed, use the following to navigate through the show: